Thursday

Feb. 21, 2008 - Tour of California Cycling Race

Today's post is recapping coverage of the Tour of California cycling race during Stage Four, along Highway 1 through the Big Sur region of coastal California. The stage began in the community of Seaside, near Monterey, and ended in San Luis Obispo.

I shot the cyclists from the back of a motorcycle as we wound with the peleton and support caravan over the stage's 135 miles.

For the entire race, it poured rain. Endlessly. And heavy rain. Everything was drenched within an hour of the start. And nearly the entire race was into a headwind, which turned what was supposed to be a 5-hour stage into a 7-hour stage. So seven hours of pouring rain. (Hands down the worst shooting conditions in my entire career.)

By the end of the race, not a single piece of camera equipment I had was operating anymore. Even with rain gear protecting the cameras, water got in and killed two cameras, two lenses and a flash. (Not to mention I was so cold - soaked through four layers of 'waterproof' clothes - that I was shaking uncontrollably and slurring my words.

Warming up in the press room afterwards while editing and transmitting was wonderful.






3 Comments:

Blogger Rob V. said...

Thanks for sharing the behind-the-scenes account of enduring hours in the rain on the back of a motorcycle. I've been a photojournalist for more than 20 years and most people do not know what crazy things we sometimes put ourselves through to get the desired result. Too bad about your lost gear. I recently bought a Nikon D700, which is supposed to be "weather sealed." I wonder if it could stand up to shooting in the rain. I also wonder if a person shoots in the rain and the camera body is weather sealed, but the lens is not, if water entering at the lens mount could kill both lens and camera. If it's any consolation, you got some stunning shots of the race.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said.

4:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike,

Great shots. I have to laugh when you first mentioned photographing cycling events I pictured you standing on the road. Not on the back of a motor. Looks like some crazy weather. Great shots!!! I'll see you with Nikonians in Yosemite in May.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home